Thursday, March 25, 2021

Easy Desserts


 

I had some frozen blueberries and strawberries lurking in the freezer that had gotten shoved to the back and subsequently forgotten. I found them recently when looking for frozen meatballs. There wasn’t enough of the fruit to make a cobbler, so I did something else with it.

 

I made a small cake with a yellow Jiffy Cake mix. While it was baking and then cooling, I put the fruit in a bowl to thaw a bit and added some sugar. When the cake was fully cooled I made some vanilla pudding from a box mix and added the fruit. I poured it over the cake and put it in the fridge.

 

It turned out to be pretty darn good. The next time I do this, though, I will leave the cake hot and poke holes all over it so the pudding/fruit can seep into the cake a bit. It could even be made into a kind of trifle with the cake cut up in small pieces.

----------------------

Another easy dessert to make is one I did all the time when I was still a kid at home. I’d take slightly stale cookies and crush them up. Then I’d stir them into pudding and put in little dishes. By the time we’d eat the pudding, the cookies would be nice and soft. Very yummy. Sometimes I would even take fresh cookies and do this.

---------------------

I grew up on Jello with canned fruit in it. When the kids were little, they didn’t like the pieces of fruit. They’d eat around it. I finally hit on the idea of pureeing the fruit in the blender and mixing it in the Jello when making it. Just used less water because of the fruit/juice. Everything blended well and the kids were none the wiser.

----------------

Muffin Mix Pancakes—found this somewhere on the Internet. It calls for 1 (7oz) package of Martha White muffin mix. They come in all flavors. Mix with 2/3 c. milk, 1 egg, 1 TBS oil. It makes 7-8 pancakes. The first flavor I tried was the chocolate chip. It was good BUT very sweet. You don’t need much syrup at all with them. They would taste great with just some butter on them, as you would with a muffin.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment