Thursday, November 12, 2020

Measles


 

 

 

 I might have been in 5th grade when I had the measles. It had been going around the neighborhood and parents let all the kids expose each other so we’d get it and get over it. I don’t remember who the first or last kid was, but we all went through it. I don’t recall a lot about how it felt, but I know I was sick and spent a lot of time in bed.

 


The parents supported each other and every kid who got sick got some kind of gift from the others. I have no idea how I got the jigsaw puzzles, but those things saved me. And I still have them. One was a young deer in some greenery and the other was the Statue of Liberty. I did those puzzles over and over and over.  I never got tired of them. I had other puzzles as well, but the “measles” puzzles were my favorites.

 

Long after that time I would still get my puzzles out and do them. I brought them all out once when Lia was here, but she had no interest in them. I think I will get them out again the next time she visits. If nothing else, *I* will do them!

 





No comments:

Post a Comment