Thursday, December 5, 2019

Christmas Queries



Egg nog or hot chocolate
I really don’t care for egg not, “loaded” or not. I much prefer hot chocolate. With whipped cream and NO marshmallow. A splash of Kahlua is nice too.

Colored lights or white lights on tree
Don’t care. But I do prefer the tiny lights as opposed to the old-fashioned big ones.

Do you hang mistletoe
I used to hang it in several doorways. Now I only do it over the area by the front door.

When do you put your decorations up
I always shoot for right after Thanksgiving, but don’t always make it. I used to do a lot of decorating, not just the tree, but over the years I just got plain tired. The Manger scene is always the first thing I set up. The tree comes whenever we get around to it. We leave it up until after Epiphany.

What tops your tree
Growing up, we had a blown-glass spire that always went on top of the tree. It’s extremely fragile now and the opening is too small for our artificial tree. So it’s usually an angel of some kind. I have some nice angels, one with candles that light. I have a beautiful lace angel that I got at a church sale. And of course, I have a cat angel.

Favorite holiday dish
Growing up, we always had turkey, same as with Thanksgiving. I do NOT do big turkey dinners anymore. No point. If the kids are here, I will do a roast or something. One year it was pizza. Eating isn’t the focal point of Christmas. Although, there will always be Christmas candy of some kind and cookies as well.

Favorite holiday tradition/ Open gifts on Christmas Eve or day
These two things go together. First and foremost, Christmas is ALWAYS about Jesus. There is ALWAYS church on Christmas Eve. We used to have services on Christmas Day as well, but that is no longer done. We would go to church Christmas Eve and come back home for snacks and fellowship with friends. Depending on how late it was, we might do presents that night. Otherwise it would be in the morning. Growing up, it was ALWAYS Christmas Day. Mom would have the coffee pot all ready to plug in. My brother and I would plug it in when we got up and as soon as the coffee was ready, we were allowed to wake our parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment