Friday, November 8, 2019

No More S’mores!!




Most people know what S’mores are and how they’re made. Graham cracker with toasted marshmallow and chocolate between. I was first introduced to S’mores at Girl Scout camp when I was young. I thought they were OK, but messy. I would’ve preferred that the chocolate bar was melted along with the marshmallow. Can’t do that over a wood fire at camp. With a microwave it is possible. That’s when I realized that I just don’t care for them. The individual ingredients are fine. I just prefer my graham crackers dunked in milk. I prefer to just eat a Hershey bar all by itself. As for marshmallows, I have a very specific way I like my marshmallows.

When toasting a marshmallow over the fire, I like to get 3 “toasts” out of it. I toast it the first time, and lift off the shell, leaving it still on the stick. The second toast will leave another shell. The third time is when what is left is totally melted. To my mind, that is the ONLY way to do a marshmallow properly. I have always loved Peeps done in the microwave. Last Easter when Lia was here, we toasted Peeps over the fire. Pretty darn good! I still prefer Peeps done in the microwave and regular marshmallows over a fire.

During the summer, Walmart was supposed to come out with marshmallows with a chocolate center. I SO looked forward to toasting one of those babies over a fire. Alas, once again, Walmart caused great disappointment. No choc-filled marshmallows. *sigh* However, last week I did find them. Too late for our summer roast though.

When Lia visits at Christmas break I hope the choc marshmallows will still be available and we will again do a marshmallow roast and maybe do a few Peeps as well. I like the idea of toasting a snowman or Christmas tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment