Thursday, January 10, 2019

January 2019 Rambles




As we were heading into the holiday season (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) I was getting more and more stressed about petty things. The news on TV was always bad. People on Facebook were getting more and more angry. I started really envying bears.

I thought it would be so nice to have nothing to do except eat as much as possible before sleeping away the winter. Carbs galore!! Pizza! Mashed potatoes and gravy! French toast! Christmas cookie after Christmas cookie! And you don’t stop until you’ve broken the bathroom scale.

Then you take a nice hot bath, get your flannel jammies on, slip between the flannel sheets and snuggle up with the pillows. And that’s it. Bypass the whole mess. Maybe set the alarm for Christmas Eve, go to church, then back to bed. DOESN’T THAT SOUND NICE???

When I mentioned this idea to Marv, he just patted my knee and said, “You sound tired, dear.”
And I was.

It was still a strange season. For the first time EVER, Marv and I were alone on Thanksgiving. Which was OK. Very low key and quiet. We appreciate quiet more in our old age…
Christmas was the same. No one but us. And I have to admit that after the beautiful service Christmas Eve, coming home to a quiet house was nice. Christmas Day dinner was Stouffer’s lasagna. Awesome. Comfort food. Add it to my bear list…

Instead of partying with friends for New Year’s Eve, we had Lia with us this time. That is always a delight, no matter what. I played on the computer while Marv and Lia watched New Year’s Rockin’ Eve on TV.

So the holidays are over. We made it through 2018 with the grace of God. Seeing what kind of nonsense 2019 will throw our way.

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum – The word of the Lord endures forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment