Thursday, March 15, 2018

Through Thorny Ways







I started down a very thorny path February 28. It actually began a few weeks prior, but I didn’t know it. By the time I encountered the real thorns, I was ready to give up.

I had a kidney infection and kidney stones. By the time I went to the hospital I also had the most massive migraine I’d had in 20 years. I was beyond pain and in a place of torment. What caused the psychosis I then endured, I don’t know. Meds, pain, whatever. Time didn’t work like it normally did, so I have no real measure of what happened when.

A lot of what I went through mentally and spiritually I am still not able to talk about. Maybe I never will. Marv knows some of it, since he spent every available moment with me. But God knows. And only He can fully heal the wounds. Even after the actual pain of the kidney stuff and the migraine were eased, the mental aberrations went on. And on. And on.

What saved me, aside from the grace of God, was the presence of Marvin. He prayed over me. He sang to me. Scripture was such a consolation. By the way, the verses Marv had to look up, he looked up on his phone. There was no New Testament/Psalms in the hospital room. I don’t think they do that anymore.

I was able to come home a week later. Some of the visual aberrations were still present, but they ceased fairly quickly once I got home and settled in my own bed. Every day has been a bit better than the day before. I was even able to go to the Lenten service this past Wednesday. That did me SO much good. I now feel like I will truly be able to get back to “normal,” whatever that means. I can’t imagine what would have happened if I had not been a Christian and had Jesus and the scriptures to cling to. I fear I would have been truly lost, both physically and spiritually.

I leave you with a verse from one of my favorite hymns. Yes, the thorny ways are VERY painful. But considering what Jesus did for me on the cross, I am assured of a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heav’nly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.


2 comments:

  1. So glad you're back, mentally, physically and spiritually. You had us worried, but we all rested in the knowledge that God had you all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your home and feeling better! Hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete