Thursday, October 12, 2017

October Ramble




It’s been awhile since I did a ramble. Coming up with a cohesive topic every week is difficult sometimes. Back when I was doing my posts on Myspace alone, I was yammering every other day or so, with just a paragraph or two. Or less. I started there on May 23, 2006. I moved over to Facebook August 1, 2009. That’s over 11 years! And I’ve been pretty faithful in keeping this up every week. I try to be as amusing or interesting as possible.

And speaking of lots of words…I have always been intrigued by NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. It starts on November 1 and ends at 11:59pm November 30. The object is to write a 50,000 word novel in one month. That comes out to roughly 1,666.7 words a day. Yow! I doubt that even as gabby as I can be, I would not be able to crank out that number of words and have it even remotely resemble a novel. The goal is not necessarily to have something that is publish-ready, but to stretch yourself personally in your writing. As much as I love Jack Kerouac and Rod McKuen, I don’t think I could do it even emulating their style. I wish I could.

I read an article about the various ways of keeping in touch with folks. It used to be by snail-mail letters or telephone. Greeting cards for birthdays and holidays. Sometimes you’d get a picture Christmas card or postcard as a sort of “Proof of Life” thing. Our Christmas card list gets shorter each year. I’ve said that I usually send Christmas cards out to people who otherwise would think we’d died. And I LOVE getting Christmas cards! I love making them and sending them, but when it’s to someone we really don’t see or touch base with that often, there is that pressure to “write a note” to go with the card. Which brings us to…

The Annual Christmas Letter!! We are ALL familiar with that one. And I will admit something that may make you shake your head: I LOVE Christmas letters. I don’t care how fake they may sound, I truly enjoy them. I even enjoy ones from people I don’t know. Sarah used to share a couple of the Christmas letters she would get each year. And I absolutely adore the one that our mailman leaves in our box each year. I figure since my life is out in the open on Facebook and in my blog, most of my peeps know what’s going on and a letter isn’t necessary. I’ve seen comic ones that spoof the annual letter, and have thought about writing something like it, but never have. So, peeps, what are YOUR feelings about it? Yea or Nay?


No comments:

Post a Comment