Thursday, January 5, 2017

New Year’s Revolutions




Yes, I spelled that correctly! It’s a revolution, baby! I read a great saying on Facebook about being a prisoner to stuff you cannot change. The Serenity Prayer talks about that too. I have been beating my head against brick walls most of my life, and at 63 years of age, I’m kinda sore.

I have always had a tendency to brood about stuff and hold grudges. I make up scenarios in my head about retribution concerning all the wrongs I’ve felt have been done to me and/or the ones I love. At one point I was referred to in my little stamp group as The Smite Queen, because I was always offering to ask God to smite someone, either on my behalf or a friend’s behalf. Most people have some sort of “S” list, but in my case the “S” stood for “Smite”. You do NOT want to get on that list!!

Since 2016 sucked big-time, I was really looking forward to starting a new year. But what was I bringing with me into that new year? The same old garbage I’ve been dragging around this past year! Not helpful!! But it’s SO HARD for me to just “let it go” like Elsa recommended.

And that is where the Holy Spirit had to step in and try to pry that garbage out of my clenched fists.

There have been big changes in my life that have made me very unhappy. I have to deal with it in a manner befitting a daughter of the King of Kings, not a whining child. “It’s not fair, God!” We were never promised “fair” and that will never happen. What we are promised is Life Eternal with Jesus. And we’re sure not going to be allowed to bring all our earthly garbage with us! Why not get rid of it NOW?

SO…time to put on the big girl panties. It will take time to get rid of the garbage, but I can start acting right now like it’s not there. Eventually it will be taken care of. Time to get hard-nosed. Time to pare down the physical “stuff” and get rid of what is no longer relevant. Whether it’s books I know I will not read again, craft stuff for projects that I know will never take place or clothes I know I will never wear again—they are GONE.

The emotional “stuff” will be much, much harder. I have a certain amount of control over the physical “stuff” but the emotional arena has a tendency to reach out and grab me at times. That’s where the Holy Spirit will have the most work, I would guess. But our wonderful and loving God is way bigger than ANY amount of “stuff” I might have kicking around.

“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free spirit.”

And a clean closet wouldn’t hurt either…and yes, God does have a sense of humor…look at me! *wink wink*


1 comment: