Friday, August 12, 2016

End of (a very short) Summer




I am so tired right now, as I have been staying up late every night to watch the Olympics. I have been enjoying it all, even the kayaking. I just can’t imagine the tremendous physical effort that goes into these sports. I’ve always been very lazy laid-back and now that the kids are grown and gone I don’t even have the exercise of chasing them around.

Lia started school this past week. Insane. What happened to having almost 3 full months for summer vacation?? I think she ended school in mid-June and now she’s back at it. Of course, she also gets 3 weeks at Christmas winter break and 2 weeks at Easter spring break. I guess you gotta make it up somewhere. She’s in 3rd grade. My teacher then was Mrs. Pegendarm. Not sure about the spelling of her name. I don’t remember much about that year except making a faux leather skirt out of paper (girls) and doing a rain dance (boys).

I saw a couple of good movies this summer: “Ghostbusters” and “Nine Lives”. Excellent, both of them. Apparently Ghostbusters tanked financially and there will be no sequel. Don’t know why..I thought it was great. And even with just his voice in Nine Lives, Kevin Spacey is such a good actor! He was an excellent cat! And you can never go wrong with Christopher Walken.

We never did anything vacation-wise this year. Things just didn’t work out. Maybe Marv can get some extra days off for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’ve been steadily plowing through my books and being hard-nosed about what to keep and what to give away. And once again, I wish I could discuss some of the books that had belonged to my mom. I get a little pang each time I see her name written in a book.

And that’s about it. Back to school. The days will still be hot, the evenings long, but it’s a long slog until Thanksgiving…


No comments:

Post a Comment