Thursday, November 12, 2015

Only in America



I read an article about stuff that apparently baffles non-Americans. I've had a Brit penpal for many years, so I knew some of the things. She and I like to compare notes on American vs Brit food, language, customs, etc. Here are a few that I thought were interesting.

We put peanut butter on everything. Formerly very hard to find, but it sounds like it's now fairly common. Matching it with jelly for a sandwich is not done, though.

Sales tax not listed on goods and services. I found this amazing. I guess when you see a sales tag on something in the UK, that is exactly what you pay. I actually like this idea.

They don't use ice! They think it waters down the drink and cubes are considered dirty. I had a friend who told me when she asked for something with ice, she was served ice cream. I love my drinks super cold, and don't mind a little dilution.

Men here wear shorts down to the knees. I guess they like 'em real short in the UK.

Red Solo Cup!! Although it's now catching on to have “American” parties. Popcorn hamburgers, beer pong.

NOT metric. I know, I know...metric is better. Too bad.

High school proms. Don't know what they do for fun at UK schools. I'll have to ask my penpal.

Baby showers/bridal showers. They just don't do these. My penpal really likes the idea of parties for these events and wishes they were popular in the UK.


No comments:

Post a Comment