Friday, June 12, 2015

Last Drop Of Alphabet Soup





Can’t remember when I started this thing, but I’m gonna end it now. And I promise I won’t do this series again. Once was enough, twice was too much.

T – Terpsichore
One of the Muses. Goddess of the dance. Strangely enough, she is usually pictured as sitting and strumming a lyre. Giving the dancers something to dance to, I guess. You’d think she would be out on the dance floor herself. Showing how to REALLY boogie. Maybe she was tired the day they took pictures…

U – Ushabti
In ancient Egypt, it was a funerary figurine placed in the tomb. They were meant to represent servants or slaves that would serve the buried person in the afterlife. Some tombs had several, some had scores. For some reason, I just really like the idea of all these little figurines. I think they’re neat. I wouldn’t mind having a collection of them. I would probably have to make them myself, though. Might be my next art project. Really don’t expect anyone to put them in my casket at the end though.

V – Velodrome
An arena for track cycling. I don’t remember how old I was when I saw this in the Olympics. I couldn’t believe how fast these guys were going! I thought it was insane! They’d start out flat on the ground and then go way up on the sides! And the crashes!!! I can barely ride a bike in the normal way.

W – Weber
One of the best inventions ever. We’ve had our Weber all our married life. This thing lasts forever. One year we even did the Thanksgiving turkey on this. Did not turn out well. We discovered it’s not a real good idea to try and grill during the winter. And certainly not a large turkey.

X – Xu
A Vietnamese coin. One of the BEST uses of the letter “X” in word games! Saved my bacon many times! Also, if you google this coin, there are some really pretty ones, mainly the ancient ones.

Y – Yang-chin
A Chinese hammered dulcimer. Lovely sound. I urge you to look this up on youtube and listen to some of this music.

Z – Zarf
I learned this word when a friend skunked me at Scrabble with it. It’s the cardboard sleeve they put on your hot drink at Starbucks so you don’t burn yourself. It originally meant the decorative, usually metal, holder in the picture at left.

And there you have it folks. Another stroll through the alphabet. Toodles!!


No comments:

Post a Comment