Friday, February 13, 2015

Mysteries & Music – Colin Dexter





I had never read any of Dexter’s “Inspector Morse” books, but liked the actor John Thaw. As a book, this isn’t really my type of mystery. I tried a couple of the books, but much preferred the series.

Thaw is a wonderful Morse. Very complex character. I enjoyed the back and forth between him and his junior, Lewis. When Dexter killed Morse off, and they dealt with this on the show, I was devastated. When Lewis viewed Morse’s body in the morgue and said, “Good-bye, Inspector” and kissed him on the temple, I cried. Sadly, John Thaw died not too long afterward of cancer.
The theme music is outstanding. Written by Barrington Pheloung. I didn’t know until I looked it up on youtube that the pulse notes at the very beginning are Morse code for the name, Morse. Kinda neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okafNPLStwU


No comments:

Post a Comment