Thursday, August 7, 2014

What I Did On My Summer Vacation



I spent two weeks in Fresno, and I think there were only 3 days when it wasn’t too hot to go outside with Lia.  Otherwise, we were inside with the fans blowing directly on me. And this time, I was especially sure to drink lots and lots of water. I had my insulated glass filled with ice water at all times. I think that made a huge difference. But any time with Lia is a good time. She is my heart’s joy.

The last time I did a 2 week stint was 3 summers ago when my niece was out here from Indiana. She is Lia’s godmother and wanted to spend some time getting to know her better. That was great, because when my energy started to flag, I could go lay down while Ellen took over. This year, I was on my own. I have to admit by Saturday of the first week, I was really starting to run out of steam. And yes, I broke my pinky toe that day as well. I was glad that it happened AFTER Sarah did my toenails, so even though the toe was really ugly, the nails were freshly polished and fabulous. By Monday though, I was getting my second wind and was able to carry on. I got the occasional nap on the couch with the dogs, too.

I always start my visits with great plans on crafts and activities to do with Lia. I see these wonderful things on Pinterest or Facebook and think “What fun to do with Lia!” And I always forget what high energy Lia has and how she does NOT want to sit still for very long for any kind of involved craft. I did introduce her to mandalas a couple years ago and she does enjoy doing those, strictly on paper with crayons or markers. Anything more involved will just have to wait.

One thing I was SO pleased to do this time was introduce her to that wonderful book “Roxaboxen” by Alice McLerran, illustrated by Barbara Cooney. I had gotten this book a few years ago, but apparently no one had ever read it to Lia. So I got to do that. I love this book so much, and the illustrations are wonderful. It really celebrates the way children have the power to imagine anything, something I think we sadly lose when we grow up. I highly recommend this book for young and old alike. If the terrain had been a bit different, I would’ve helped Lia make her own city of Roxaboxen, but as it was, we were limited to crayon and paper. So we drew our own cities. This would be so much fun to do with a sand table and the various components necessary.

Otherwise, the days were spent in reading, playing with Monster High dolls, watching Power Puff Girls cartoons, lots of coloring and a little bit of swimming when we were at the apartment. All in all a pretty good “vacation” that definitely left no time to be bored.

One huge benefit for me personally was that by the end of those two weeks, I was going up and down those stairs at the house and the apartment LIKE A BOSS!! With Lia, being a couch potato is NOT an option!


No comments:

Post a Comment