Thursday, July 10, 2014

Placating the Muse



I've really been having a battle with my muse Myrtle lately. For quite a while, in fact. She’s been poking me and nagging me to get my artistic butt in gear and create something. I had actually gotten my craft room in a navigable state, but “life” stepped in and the encroaching chaos took over again. It seemed there was always something that needed doing NOW, and “when I finish (whatever it was), THEN I can get back to my art.”

So I’d finish whatever it was, and try to get the momentum going again, only to have something else come up. It was always a case of just getting past a certain point, then I’d be free to do something. And the months went by.

After my mother-in-law died, I felt at loose ends. I’d always over-seen her care and managed her affairs and doctor appointments. Now I suddenly have NO upcoming duties. I’d always done these things out of love, of course, and I don’t regret anything regarding mom’s care. I just sort of feel superfluous now. Of little use. I took care of my kids until it was time to start taking care of my parents and mother-in-law. Now the kids have their own lives and all the parents are gone, and I’m not needed.

So I have finally taken on a real project and have been doing the prelim stuff. It’s an altered book for a friend, and these things take a tremendous amount of thought before even physically getting started. The thought part is pretty much done. I know (sort of) the direction I’m going. Myrtle always puts her own ideas in that I have to deal with, but I think I've at least gotten things off the ground. Now the grunt work begins in getting all the pieces together. Once that is done, then the part I love most in the world takes place: putting the book together. That is the most joyous work in the world to me.

I’m also giving myself a deadline this time. One full week. Seven full days. I’m going down to Fresno again on the 19th, and it will be for a 2 week visit. So if I don’t get this baby put to bed before I leave, it will be 2 weeks before I can get back to it. That is a killer absence when you’re working on a project. It WILL die if left alone that long.

So here I go, Myrtle! Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment