Friday, May 4, 2012

Back From Virginia part 2




OK. When we last left off, Marv and I were being met by Paul and Anne at the Richmond airport. There was some kind of tedious snag involving the rental car, but we FINALLY got it. Paul drove us in the rental car to IHOP with Anne following behind. AWESOME breakfast! Cinnamon pancakes…Oh. Em. Gee.

Then we went to the hotel to get settled in and TAKE A NAP. Before he left with Anne, Paul put his Garmin in the rental car for us to use. What a neat toy! I want one! I certainly don’t need one here in Oroville, but as I told Marv, I would love to drive around in Kelly Ridge, get good and turned around (which is easy for me, sadly) and then ask Garmin to find my way back to Olive Highway. Just to see where he’d take me. Because I would put the Garmin voice to a male one. I became quite fond of Garmin while we were in VA…

After our nap, we went over to Paul and Anne’s house. With the wonderful help of Mr. Garmin. They have a cute house on a very nice lot with amazing trees all over. That was one of the biggest surprises for Marv and I. The land all over the area of VA we were in was either neat and tidy lawn, or forest! And the roadsides were sparkling clean. NO TRASH. We got to meet our new grandkids, Madison and Jordan. Wonderful kids. Although Jordan isn’t really a kid anymore at 17…and Madi is the sweetest 10 year old. A bit on the shy side, but then, so was I at that age.

That night was the bachelor/ette dinner at Glory Days Grill. Awesome hamburgers. Something I had never seen before: there were TVs set up all around the place near the ceiling. Any place you sat, you could see at least 3-4 different screens, all with different channels. On all the tables were small speaker towers that you could set to whatever channel you wanted to watch, and you would be able to hear that channel. Great idea!

After that, it was back to the hotel. Where we discovered that they make FRESH COOKIES almost every afternoon. I was way too full for cookies, but that didn’t stop me from taking a couple back to the room for “later”. Since we ate so late, I had to sit up most of the night, and my inflatable travel wedge failed. But I had asked for extra pillows when we checked in, so I had 7 pillows to arrange and slept quite well.

The hotel breakfast was THE BOMB! The usual cold cereal, fruit and muffin/bread selection PLUS egg patties, sausage, bacon, waffles…and something that looked like mushroom soup with meat in it. Then I KNEW I was in the South…it was gravy for the biscuits! I love biscuits and gravy, but I had already piled my plate with eggs and bacon and cornbread.

One thing I failed to mention last time: Marv did very well with the trip out and back. He took his Dramamine regularly and had no problems. I am so thankful that I’ve never had a problem with motion sickness. If I did, I would NEVER have been able to do my homework. On the school bus. On the way to school the morning it was due…

Next time: manis and pedis for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment