Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I am not a number! I am a free man!

Gladys, I have been having 1.5 hoots (that's a hoot and a half BTW) recently. I had seen a blurb about the remake of The Prisoner, coming in November on AMC. I had been absolutely addicted to that show in the 60's and had always wanted to get the series on DVD. The more I heard about the remake, the more I wanted to see the original before November. So the next time I had a coupon from Barnes and Noble, I used it and got the DVD set. That was so much fun, Gladys, watching those episodes again! I wish you could've been here with me! There was a lot I hadn't remembered--like Rover! Who could forget that big, white, evil balloon?! Over the next week or so, I watched those episodes and just fell under their spell once again. Having the Internet, I was also able to really find out a lot about Portmeirion, Wales, where the "real" Village was. What a beautiful place! I idly looked into the biggest fan club, Six of One, and found out that membership is something like $80. No thanks. Anyway, I was very much looking forward to the final episode. I remember being totally confused and sort of let down by it, and hadn't seen it or any of the episodes since. Apparently they've been played on TV, but never where I was aware of it. So with great anticipation and hope about finding out WHAT IT ALL MEANT, I watched it. I wasn't terribly surprised to find out that the ending is totally open to interpretation. I didn't feel as let down as I did 40 years ago, but I think watching it all again as an adult helped. I'm looking forward to the remake next month, but I think the original will always be the standard to me. Patrick McGoohan was a quirky, quirky guy.
Thanks, Pat. Thanks, Number Six.
Be seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment