Friday, August 5, 2011

Alphabet Soup - part 8


U – U is for Ukulele

To me, the ukulele is the symbol for Arthur Godfrey. When I was young, I listened to Arthur Godfrey on the radio and watched him on TV. I remember his commercials for Lipton tea and soup and for Axion detergent. To me, he always sounded like he had a slight cold, but his voice was very comforting. I enjoyed the talent shows. One of my favorite movies is The Glass Bottom boat, where he plays Doris Day’s father. They do a duet where he is playing his ukulele.


V – V is for Vegemite

I’ve mentioned being an Anglophile before, but I am also an Australophile. It’s a fascinating country and fascinating people. I love the native artwork. I had never heard of Vegemite, though, until the song “Down Under” by Men at Work. I loved that song and did a little research into Vegemite. I don’t think I would care for it…


W – W is for Windchimes

I love windchimes. When Marv and I were first married, we found some local artist who made ceramic windchimes. They were gorgeous, and that first Christmas we gave EVERYBODY windchimes. Sadly, ours broke a few years later after we had moved and by then the guy was no longer in the area. I tried finding him on the internet a couple times, but I don’t really know how his named was spelled. If I didn’t think it would drive the neighbors nuts, I’d hang windchimes all around the outside of the house so we would be sure of catching SOME kind of breeze on a spring or summer night. I’d have all the windows open and go to sleep listening to those chimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment