Friday, March 4, 2011

Book Report for February


“Pride’s Way” by Robert Molloy
Takes place in Charleston in 1910. There are still a few Civil War heroes left and feelings from ‘The War’ are still high. The main characters are two elderly sisters, Miss Julie and Miss Tessie. They have never gotten along very well, but Miss Julie decides that it’s time to reconcile while they still have the chance. Nice flavor in this book, gives a good feel for the place and the period. And of course, the struggle within families is always current.

“Simone” by Lion Feuchtwanger
I read this book when I was in my teens, but had only a hazy recollection of it. I thought I remembered how it ended, but wanted to read it one more time before donating it. It takes place in a French village that is about to be occupied by the Germans during WWII. Simone is a poor relation who is treated very shabbily by her rich relatives. The whole village looks down on her as she does her best to just get through the days. She does finally take a stand just before the Germans arrive, but her efforts only cause her to be placed in the local mental institution. NOT WHAT I REMEMBERED! If I had remembered that, I would never have read it again. Bummer ending! Well written, but depressing.

“My Sergei” by Ekaterina Gordeeva
Bio of figure skater Sergei Grinkov written by his widow. I vaguely remember when he died and I thought it was very sad. Ekaterina had help writing this, but you can still get the foreign ‘flavor’ of her English. Charming. Good story, although a little shallow. Hard to believe this all took place 15 years ago.

“The Weigher of Souls” and “The Earth Dwellers” by André Maurois
Very dated sci-fi from the 60’s. “Soul” was OK, if very melodramatic. “Earth Dwellers” was pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment