Friday, February 18, 2011

Gimme 5 for February


Quite a while back, I did a blog post called “Gimme 5” and I think I said something like it was the first of what I hoped would be a series….I don’t even remember what the 5 things were that I wrote about. Going through my files, I found a page with some ideas for this that I obviously never followed through with. So once again, I hope this will be an occasional post in a series.

5 Foods I Will Never Eat

Scrapple –

I watched Mike Rowe make this stuff. I have never liked organ meat from any animal, and the thought of some of the other parts used in this “food” is truly revolting. And it’s a breakfast food! Can you imagine waking up to a plate of this stuff in front of you at the table and pouring syrup, gravy, ketchup or jelly on it? And eating it?
I’m glad I’m not Pennsylvania Dutch.


Escargot –

Snails. ‘nuf said.
I’m glad I’m not French.


Squid/Octopus –

Almost the same as the above. I hope to never be in the same circumstances that led someone many, many years ago to look at one of these creatures and say, “Mmmm. Looks tasty to me!”
I’m glad I’m not Asian.


Haggis –

As far as I’m concerned, this is in the same category as scrapple, except with sheep parts instead of pig.
I’m glad I’m not Scottish.


Tripe –

Wikipedia says this is “edible offal from the stomachs of various farm animals.” I guess I have a vastly different idea of what is edible and what isn’t. I saw Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet on PBS) prepare this many years ago. No thanks.

Offal = intestines
Intestines = guts
Once again, ‘nuf said.

Apparently many nationalities “appreciate” this type of food. I’m glad I’m not a part of any of them.


And before any particular race or nationality gets their shorts in a twist: I am proud to be of German stock…and I HATE German food as well…


Give me a hamburger or hot dog of questionable content any day of the week!

Good ol’ American food! (Cue theme music “Stars and Stripes Forever”)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I just saw an episode of one of the weird food shows where they featured scrapple! And my husband is of the Asian persuasion, so it has come up. But for today we are heading to In'N Out for a good ol' cheeseburger and fries.

    ReplyDelete