Wednesday, December 1, 2010

November Book Report

November Book Report

The four books I read last month were an interesting mix: biography, horror, comedy sci/fi and one downright depressing book.

“Scarlett O’Hara’s Younger Sister” by Evelyn Keyes told how the young dancer made her way into Hollywood. Her roll as the younger sister in Gone With the Wind wasn’t a big part, but it opened doors. The book was written in the 70’s when Ms. Keyes was well in her 50’s and was pretty frank. It was interesting to read about the Hollywood of the “golden age” and after with 2010 knowledge. Very well written.

“Son of Rosemary” by Ira Levin sucked me in right from the beginning. I had read Rosemary’s Baby a few years after the movie came out. I never saw the movie, but found the book pretty disturbing. I was curious enough to know “the rest of the story” however, to read the sequel. Once again, Levin is a great writer, and this book grabbed me from the start. I found the ending a bit disappointing. All I will say is: Don’t Trust Satan! He Lies!

“The Ice Storm” by Rick Moody was the downright depressing book. I never saw the movie, although I thought enough of the main actors to put it on my “like to see someday” list. I have now removed that movie from my list. The book takes place in New England in the 70’s with the adults being unhappy and having extramarital affairs and the kids being unhappy and experimenting with drugs and sex. No one really communicates from the heart and no one is happy at the end. Bah.

Who’s Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt was a hoot and a half. I loved it and will keep it in my library. The other 3 books immediately went into the Salvation Army bag after I was finished with them.

This would make a great movie. Hildy is a young archeologist who discovers a buried Viking longship in the Scottish countryside and accidentally awakens King Hrolf Earthstar and his crew after their spell-induced sleep of 1200 years. Now she has to help them find and overthrow the evil Sorcerer King who has remained awake all those years and is intent on world domination through 20th century technology. Absolutely marvelous book.

No comments:

Post a Comment